Saturday, July 9, 2011

My 'Coming Out' Day...

I made it official today.... I 'came out' to the world via FaceBook that I'm going to run a half marathon. OMG am I nuts? Why would a person want to do that?? 13.1 miles of consecutive running? That will take me like 2 1/2-3 hrs of non-stop running..... Seriously.... My reasons are 2 fold:

1) running for me so far has not been all that challenging. I ran a 10K Turkey Trot last Thanksgiving without training for it and still came in at 1hr 12 mins. I want to push myself to do something outside my comfort zone. I ran in the Marines and while I NEVER got in the slacker van I wasn't all that strong compared to the boys I worked with. I want to be stronger.

2) my husband ran a full marathon last year and I'm nothing if I'm not competitive. Nuff said.

The race I've selected is http://www.obxmarathon.org/site3.aspx The Outer Banks Half Marathon starts in Kitty Hawk and the finish line is in downtown Manteo. I mean if I'm going to run 13.1 miles shouldn't my view be fantastic for most of the course?!? Plus, I'm a NC beach girl at heart so this is just another excuse to get there. :)

So I need to start training, reading, and find a person to completely critique my running form so I can be better. I told you I'm competitive. I'll be blogging as I progress so you can follow along with me as I make this journey. If you have any serious tips or suggestions feel free to leave them here.

Happy Trails!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the blog comment, and congrats on signing up for OBX! Nothing crazy about it (or maybe I'm just to crazy to recognize other crazy). I ran the OBX full last year, and my father walked the half. Great race, great course, and a great day all around. My parents live about 2 miles from the start of the full, so it was on my must-do list. Best of luck with training.

    ReplyDelete