Thursday, July 21, 2011

Netflix Day 15

Two weeks, man has two weeks already gone by?  This summer is flying by! OK, update time.  The kids have settled in quiet nicely to Netflix, they don’t even ask to watch ‘normal’ TV anymore.  As long as there are episodes of HeMan for my son he’ll be happy.  I have a few more old school cartoons lined up for them next on the Instant Queue- Bugs Bunny, Pink Panther, Tom & Jerry, etc.  I feel much more confident with them watching cartoons on Netflix than I do with just popping on a Cartoon Network or Boomerang on ‘regular’ TV.  For me it comes down to influencing my kids; whether that’s through (poor) choice of words for the characters on the show, how they dress the kids (do not even get me started there) or the bombardment of commercials for crap I would never buy at volumes that are more than a bit ridiculous. I want to be the primary influence on my kids for as long as I can.  And when they need therapy as adults I can solely take the blame and not say, “It was those damn kids’ TV shows when they were younger”  I’m just saying, today’s kids are growing up with ads in their faces at levels we could not fathom when we were that young.  I do the best I can at controlling what comes into their influence.  When I was a little girl I spent a lot of time at my grandparent’s house, they have had a wonderfully, strong, positive impact on my life.  But for the life of me when I was 7 I could never understand why they would never let me watch TV when I was there… I mean NEVER.  My grandma called it the ‘boob tube’ and said it would rot my brain.  And like most things our elders said to us as kids I didn’t believe her however as an adult I now see how right she was.  Between her influence on me and the absolute downhill spiral that children’s tv has taken over the past 15 years, I’m sure that is why I feel the way I do about my kids watching the television.  I know this blog is supposed to be about Netflix not my opinion of tv, however I feel that the two have a direct correlation.  Without crappy TV and horrible commercials today, I would only feel half as strongly about ‘the boob tube’.  J


The other morning when my 9 yr old son woke up he said, “mom what do you watch on Netflix when we go to bed because I can hear you laughing” I’m sure he heard me laughing my ass off last night at Daniel Tosh standup comedy.  OMG, standup comedy?!?!  I hadn’t even thought about standup comedy on Netflix but my husband had and holy crap that was funny! That just opened up a whole new genre for us to watch.  I don’t even know where to begin in my search…. Do you have any recommendations??  We looked for Rodney Carrington last night but no luck there.  I love love love standup comedy so this will be an interesting evolution in my TV watching.  I used to watch Comedy Central but they started showing soo many commercials and SO LOUD that I just ended up just changing the channel.  This is awesome.  I’m excited to watch TV again…..  wait, I think I just came up with what Netflix new slogan should be, “Netflix, a reason to get excited about TV again.  What you want to watch when you want to watch it with no commercials” I like it, maybe I’ll pitch this blog and that slogan to them and make my millions.  Then I can just sit back and watch Netflix all day!  Haha!!

As a departing thought, the TV in my bedroom…  I’m highly aware that when we cancel DirecTV that I’ll be giving that up.  I’ve tried to convince myself that weaning would be the best way.  You know, only watch on certain nights, or only for 30 minutes (if I stay awake that long) however each night as I crawl into bed I think ‘maybe tomorrow I’ll start weaning.’  It never happens.  I’m thinking going cold turkey is going to be more like it.  Just bam no more TV in the bedroom.  It will force me to read more which I really enjoy doing anyway. Now that will be a blog posting worth reading…. Jen minus the TV in her room…

Have a great day and send me your suggestions for stand up comedians! 

No comments:

Post a Comment