There are two topics I like to discuss in this posting; ordering Netflix DVDs, and the ability to watch Netflix on your smartphone. Both completely genius concepts.
First, ordering Netflix DVDs.... I mentioned in a previous posting that some of the movies we cannot watch instantly and that has been a bit of a let-down. Fortunately, my husband came to the rescue and ordered a movie for the kids that they were really looking forward to watching on DirecTV. He ordered in on Sunday I believe and we received in yesterday. FAST! When they movie came in, my 9 yr old son said, "Cool, we're doing that now too?!" Again I'll reiterate that the word is out among kids that Netflix is the way to watch TV. He knew that having the movie was only temporary and that once we returned it we could have another one. Amazing. So we watched one of the Star Wars flicks last night, they loved it. I loved not having to fast forward through any commercials. I was very surprised at the quality of the DVD. I assumed that like most movies that you can borrow (from the library, friends, or even Redbox) that they would be scratched and cut out 2/3 of the way through the movie. Not the case at all. No issues for the duration of the entire movie. Score one for Netflix. :)
Second, watching Netflix on my phone?? When my husband told me we could do that I about fell over. "Are you serious? Awesome!" Download the app to your phone, log on to your account and not only are the shows you've previously watched there but you can search, add to your queue, and pause your viewing only to pick back up in the exact same place later either on your phone OR at home. That blew my mind. I have to tell you, I fight the urge to watch Weeds every time I get in the car. Speaking of watching Netflix in the car.... we have yet to tell our kids that we now have this ability. I'll never get my phone back if I have to constantly hear "can I watch TV?" every time we're going out. As it is we listen to stories on tape in my car and that keeps the noise level down to an acceptable volume, TV would ruin that balance I have worked hard at not only creating but maintaining. (Yes I said tapes, I currently drive a 99 Camry that has a tape player in it. Go ahead and laugh if you want to but I have Pandora streaming through my phone into the tape player and out my car speakers without having to find a usable FM channel :) Anyway, Netflix has been great. I was out waiting for my husband the other day and since I had some time to kill I watched a few more episodes of Weeds. I can see this feature being an additional instigator of my inability to focus for very long. Before this, if I had 2 minutes I would hop on FB to see what was going on. Now if I have 10 minutes or more, I'm watching TV. What the hell??? I'm going to have to keep my eye on that. I can see how having Netflix on the phones will be helpful next time we drive to NC for vacation. Each kid gets their own (our phones) and all will be right with the world....
So far so good with Netflix. Considering cutting back on the TV watching in the bedroom so it isn't such a drastic change once we get rid of DirecTV altogether. I said considering..... :)
Have a great day everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment