I’ve had a week full of reasons why I didn’t train hard…… Number 1 reason though-the AC in our house went out. During one of the hottest weeks on record for our area and for 3 days we have no air conditioning. Nothing zaps your energy or patience like a hot house. I even considered pitching our tent in the back yard and camping since at night it was cooler outside than it was in our house. By Friday when I had finally had enough and was 2 seconds from booking a room at Great Wolf Lodge the repair man calls and says our motor is ready to be picked up! There is a God!!! I’m not exaggerating when I say our upstairs was over 100*. So with the assistance of my fantastic brother-in-law Mike, John was able to get it up and running again by Saturday morning. Ahhhhhhhh J And so prepping for my first Half Marathon resumed Saturday afternoon which was fueled by the announcement that one of my sisters (I have 4!) will be running the race with me and John! YEA!!! I’m so happy! She’s living in Denver so this will be a fantastic way of getting to hang out with her while doing something we both enjoy, running.
So with the knowledge that Sara will be along for the ride I’m now extra motivated to train. Well, I’m extra motivated for her to train also, she’ll be running the full marathon with a friend of John’s from the Marines and we have a bet going that she can beat him. Sara, a 23 yr old former college soccer star and runner extraordinaire WILL beat a former Marine who I believe just turned 30 (and I will be $25 richer)…. Yea she’s got this in the bag! She shared with me her marathon training poster that is hanging on the back of her front door to her apartment. Every day she has to look at it and either think to herself, ‘yep I got my miles in for the day!’ or ‘damn I have to get out there!’ I love the idea of the visual accountability. Once I roll into my actual Training Days (coming up soon!!) I think something like that would be great for me. I’m a very visual person and if I don’t see it, it gets forgotten about… this would be a great tool for me.
Speaking of Training Days, it just so happens that once the kids go back to school I will have exactly 13 weeks to prepare for the OBX Half. This also happens to be exactly how long my boot camp was; coincidence? I don’t think so. Although this time there will be no gas chamber, or rifle range, or chow hall duty. I would love it if Jillian Michaels were yelling at me DI style though, man she is awesome! I will however still be waking up at zero-dark-thirty to get the kids on the bus. Haha! It has been extremely challenging to get miles logged with Thing 1 & Thing 2 home all day and John at work (stupid night shift!) so I’m really looking forward to ‘Jen time’ starting Aug 18th.
With the ‘forming’ that I’ve been working on, I can see and feel my body changing and that is definitely a good thing. In fact I wore a 2 piece bathing suit yesterday that I haven’t fit into in a couple of years, WHICH felt awesome!! I told you that I am visual so having that profile picture on FB which I also uploaded to my phone as my background has really helped. The constant reminder of my ‘goal body’ helps me when I want to eat junk or be lazy about getting to the gym. My abs and arms are taking on tone they haven’t seen since I was 22 and my legs are getting lean and strong. I need to keep this up, I feel fantastic. J When I think about eating a piece of cake, or donuts, or Oreos with peanut butter on them I just look at the caloric content. Imaging how long it will take me on the treadmill to work off those calories is usually deterrent enough. Who likes doing extra work??
So just a few more weeks and my real work begins! I’m really excited!!! Now to answer the really hard question….. what will I wear to the race?!?! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment