We’re just about at the end of our 30 day free trial of Netflix and I’m pretty surprised at how much my whole family has taken to it like a moth to a flame. The kids discovered Inspector Gadget the other day and so that has been the new obsession for them. My 9 yr old son runs to get the mail just about every day (he even asks to get the mail on Sunday) in case there is a new red envelope with a movie in it. My 7 yr old daughter is a TV baby (she could sit and watch for hours and barely move) so she’s happy with just about anything that’s on. John started watching Pawn Stars, which he never watched before, and is now addicted. That show is pretty cool. I’m still making my way through the Weeds series, up to Season 3 episode 5 I think. I was doing pretty good till John said last week, “I cant believe you watch that without me, I kinda liked that show too ya know.” (insert pout here) Damn it John you are rarely home at night and now I have to wait until you’re sitting on the couch with me to watch it? Not pleased and I'm thinking that won’t last much longer…
So with all this happiness with Netflix I’ve been wondering lately what the downsides are/will be. I found out one of them last night…. Since Netflix operates on Wi-Fi, it stands to reason that when the Wi-Fi isn’t available your streaming isn’t available either. My Wi-Fi was fluctuating last night, you know, coming in and out of service, while I was trying to watch Ghost Adventures (since I guess I’m not supposed to watch Weeds) and every 10 minutes or so the screen would freeze and say ‘receiving’ UGH! A show that should have taken 48 minutes to get through was more than an hour! I even remember thinking; I’d rather be fast-forwarding through commercials than waiting on this. (On a side note, I’ve noticed that my attention span is dwindling more and more lately. I need to work on that) I ended up sleeping through the ending, damn it.
Speaking of sleeping with the TV on, in a fit of irritation last week with crap that happened that costs us over $2k to fix, I called DirecTV to cancel our account. So no more TV in the bedroom. First, allow me to explain… last Wednesday the transmission to one of our vehicles AND the AC to our house went out. SHIT! When stuff like that happens that costs a lot of money my very first reaction is to cut all unnecessary costs to minimize the damage to our budget. Since DirecTV was on the chopping block anyway, I just called a week or so early. The guy on the phone was really really good. He just about offered us the moon if we would stay on with DirecTV. OK, for real he offered to waive our DVR service for the next 2 years (costs us about $5/month) and take the package that we currently are paying $29/month for and make it $15/month for 2 years. Wow dude that was pretty enticing but no thanks. Unless you can magically make TV not suck AND throw in no commercials ever I think I’ll stick with Netflix. Good try though. So back to me sleeping with the TV on….. I told you I’d have to go cold turkey and I did, and I’m not cool with it yet. I’ve slept with the TV on for years, so this will take some adjusting. I have an app on my phone that plays the sound of the ocean that I’ve been using (I totally miss the beach) so that is helping. However I’m pretty sure that I’ll be reading books on my iPhone soon. I downloaded a sample of “The Help” last night and read a few pages. That calmly sent me into Dreamland where I dreamt that my favorite restaurant in NC, Smithfield's, opened a location here in Cincinnati! J Imagine my disappointment when I woke up! No good bbq for me till Nov when we head to NC for my race. L
Only a few more days left of this 30 days so my next entry will be my last regarding Netflix. Stay tuned though for my Half Marathon training updates! Have a great day!
No comments:
Post a Comment